At 72 Degrees Air Conditioning & Heating, our Fredericksburg HVAC technicians know how important regular AC maintenance in order for your system to run a peak efficiency and your home to maintain its comfort, especially during the hot summer months. Fortunately, there are a variety of ways you can do on your own to keep your AC unit running smoothly all year long.
The following are simple techniques to improve the performance of your air conditioning system:
- Change air filters. Over the course of the year, particles of dirt and dust accumulate in your air filters. Not changing your filters can result in decreased performance of your unit and even major repairs. The amount of times you replace your filters annually depends on the amount of occupants and pets in your home.
- Use ceiling fans. Ceiling fans are effective for circulating air throughout your home, which means dispersing cold air from the AC unit evenly.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed when it’s hot and sunny. When sun enters your home, the visible light and UV rays are converted into heat. Having your drapes and shades closed shut during the day can help you keep the cool air inside without major usage of your AC system.
- Move your AC unit if it is exposed to the sun. Having a unit directly exposed to the sun’s rays on a constant basis can shorten its lifespan. An alternative to moving to is by using some type of awning or shade to cover it.
- Maintain thermostat at around 78 degrees. Your AC system kicks in every time the temperature falls below the thermostat setting. By setting the temperature at 78 degrees for the entire day, you can avoid having your AC exert an abundant amount of energy every day and save money as well. Another way to manage your house’s temperature is to purchase a programmable thermostat.
If you are interested in having your air conditioning system undergo maintenance or service, contact our Fredericksburg and Kerrville HVAC technicians today.