One of the most important components of your HVAC system are the air filters. However, homeowners often neglect the task of changing them. It’s imperative to understand that changing air filters is crucial to making sure your system is performing at peak efficiency at all times. Not only will your HVAC system work properly, but having clean air filters can ultimately save you money on your energy bills.
In order to determine how often you should change your air filter, consider the following factors:
- The type of air filter you have. Not all air filters are equal, each type has a different life span depending on the model of your system.
- The number of people in your home. Those with higher numbers of people in their home must change their filters more frequently.
- The air quality in your home. If you’re getting sick frequently or having allergy problems in your home, you must change your air filter more often or choose a different kind.
- The number of pets in your home. Pets shed plenty of dander, which affects the quality of your indoor air. So if you have pets, then you must change your air filters more frequently than those who don’t.
- Living in a polluted area. If you live in an area high amounts of pollution or near construction zones, it’s wise to check your filters every few months or so and see how dirty they get.
While most people often change their filters at the beginning of a new season, others may change it once a month to be on the safe side. Consider these factors to ensure the air quality in your home is clean and breathable.