It’s no secret that most people use their air conditioner more during the summer. As Texas residents will surely tell you, not having a working AC unit when the temperature changes can make for a few extremely unpleasant months. In addition to scheduling HVAC service, there are a couple simple cleaning jobs you can complete on your own to help ensure peak cooling efficiency. Keep reading to learn how to clean your AC to get it ready for summer, and make contact our Fredericksburg and Kerrville pros at 72 Degrees Air Conditioning & Heating for all your other AC needs.
Top 5 Ways to Clean Your AC for Summer
- Change filters: One of the most essential and thankfully one of the easiest ways to keep your air conditioner clean is to change the filters. Sadly, many people still don’t know this, despite the fact that it’s recommended for AC filters to get replaced every few months. Not only will getting rid of dirty filters help your unit function better, it can also improve indoor air quality, as dirty filters can actually spread contaminants through the air. Fortunately, you can purchase new filters at home supply stores and through most major online retailers.
- Get rid of clogs in the condensation line: The condensation line is the pipe that removes excess condensate from your AC unit. If it gets blocked, it could back up your air conditioner, resulting in damage to your HVAC system and possibly to other parts of your home. To make sure this doesn’t happen, locate the condensation line where your AC drains out of your house. If you find that it is clogged, you can flush it out with vinegar. If it still has issues after this, you will want to call a professional.
- Hose down the coils on your outside unit: Most people’s air conditioner’s go through a period of disuse in the winter, during which time the outside unit accumulates a fair amount of dirt and debris. Even if you have been running your AC in the winter, however, or if it has been covered up during months of disuse, it’s still a good idea to hose it down before summer. If the unit is particularly dirty, consider purchasing a commercial AC cleaner from a hardware store, or calling an AC technician to assess the damage for you.
- Get rid of debris surrounding the outside unit: In addition to dirt and dust, bushes, leaves, and other natural debris tend to accumulate around your AC during the winter months. In some cases, you may even have animals that have tried to make a home in or around the unit. To ensure your equipment is free of obstruction and primed to do its job, check thoroughly for any plants, vegetation, or other outside blockages that may be impeding the unit’s performance.
- Clean AC fins: Checking that the fins are clean on your outside unit is another important step to guaranteeing excellent summer AC performance. These can be scrubbed with a toothbrush or other small brush. Make sure to do this gently, however, as cleaning the fins too roughly can cause the thin metal to break.
Stay Cool This Summer—With 72 Degrees Air Conditioning & Heating!
From AC installations to repair, 72 Degrees Air Conditioning & Heating has everything you need to stay cool this summer and comfortable all year-round! Our annual maintenance plans are designed to keep your HVAC system functioning at maximum performance, and when you become a Home Comfort Club Member, you can get priority service and even more benefits! Contact us for summer specials and financing options, and let our Fredericksburg and Kerrville experts give your HVAC system the upgrade it needs today!
72 Degrees Air Conditioning & Heating is available by phone at (830) 302-3140, or you can send us a message online.