Your family's comfort and safety are our priority. While we’re pretty sure you’ve heard about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and how it relates to your furnace, we are concerned that we still see so many accidents in the news. We wanted to make you aware of some potentially dangerous mistakes that people make:
Mistake #1: Assuming that because a furnace is working and generating heat that it is safe to operate.
Mistake #2: Assuming that a Carbon Monoxide Detector is all the protection you need to keep you and your family safe.
Mistake #3: Assuming that if you have your furnace inspected, every few years it’s safe to operate.
Now, if you have had any of these ideas, it’s not your fault. There are lots of myths and misconceptions about furnaces that are even held by people in the business.
So how do you avoid these 3 mistakes and protect your family?
Simple. Don’t neglect your furnace. Have it professionally checked annually. Don’t just take our word for it:
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises: “Consumers should not service their own appliances, but have a qualified plumbing, heating contractor or gas company technician perform an inspection every year.” 1
- The U.S. Fire Administration has issued this urgent warning: “The importance of proper maintenance cannot be overstated. Both furnaces and chimneys should be professionally inspected annually and cleaned as necessary.”2
We could go on with more citations regarding the role of maintenance in furnace safety, but you get the point. The expert opinion is that your furnace should be checked annually and that it should be done by a qualified professional.
If you are a member of our Home Comfort Club and your furnace is covered you’re already doing what you need to do to protect your family. As one of the benefits of membership, your furnace is checked seasonally for safe operation, heating performance and energy efficiency. It is important, however, that you get that done so if you haven’t had your furnace maintained and checked for safety this year, don’t wait - call today to get it scheduled!
P.S. If you’re not a member of our Home Comfort Club – our members enjoy additional benefits like Priority Service, and additional savings on repairs, products, services, and replacements. Call and ask for all the details today!
1 Source: News from CPSC Releases #01-069 Jan 18, 2001, and #97-191 Sept 22 197 US Consumer Product Safety Commission- Office of Information and Public Affairs
2 Source: Topical Fire Research Series Volume 6, Issue 2 Nov. 2006 Heating Fires in Residential Buildings, U.S. Fire Administration – FEMA, U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security